Fried Green Tomatoes with Remolaude Sauce
- 3 lg Tomatoes (Green or even slightly under-ripened regular tomatoes will work) Sliced ½ inch thick
- Salt and Pepper
- ½ cup flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ¾ tsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne powder
- ½ tsp old bay seasoning
- Canola or Avacado oil, for frying
- 1/4 cup Cotija Cheese
Sprinkle sliced tomatoes lightly with salt and pepper on both sides and let sit on paper towel for 15 min.
Using 3 shallow bowls, place the flour in the first bowl, the beaten egg in the second and the Panko along with the garlic powder, onion powder, salt, cayenne and old bay in the third bowl mixing the panko with the seasonings well.
Heat the oil in your pan over medium heat. Working with one slice at a time, dredge the tomatoes in the flour, then egg, then panko mixture and fry, working in batches if needed for 2-3 minutes. Turn slice over and fry for another minute or two.
Remove tomatoes from oil with tongs and let drain on a paper towel to drain off excess oil for a minute or two. Transfer to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and keep warm in a 215 degree oven until all are cooked. Serve on top a dollop of remolaude sauce and sprinkle with crumbled Cotija cheese and fresh chopped parsley if desired.
- 2 egg Yolks
- 3 tbsp Creole Mustard or whole grain
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 1 tbsp Old Bay seasoning or creole seasoning
- 1-4 tsp prepared horseradish (depending on how hot you like it)
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- 1 cup mayo (you can replace half or all with sour cream)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice and zest from one lemon
- 1 tbsp Worchestire sauce
- ½ cup finely sliced green onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 stalk finely chopped celery
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp Tabasco (or your favorite hot sauce once again to taste)
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp Ketchup
Mix all together. Keep refrigerated. Serve with seafood, fried green tomatoes, sandwiches, burgers, chicken, French fries, onion rings.. etc, etc and the list goes on and on!